One of our favorite goodies to share this season is cranberry orange bread. I discovered this recipe on a trip to Kennebunkport, Maine at a lovely Bed and Breakfast Inn by the name of Captain Lord Mansion. It was years ago. Frankly, I don’t care to admit how many years, but numerous to be sure. Translated: they may not serve this bread anymore, but when they did, it was warm and accompanied by a bowl of oatmeal. While its delicious plain, butter makes for a delightful addition.
So this year, if you’re looking to bring a smile to someone’s face and you want to try something new, give this one a chance. It’s a hit with everyone who tries it, cranberry lovers or not!
They say to make it exactly as written though if you’ve read any of my posts, you know I don’t do ANYTHING exactly as instructed. It’s a curse! Or gift, depending on how you choose to look at it. 🙂 But either way, don’t hesitate to give this one a go. You’ll be glad you did!
Cranberry Orange Bread
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Sift together in large bowl:
2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
5 cups flour
2 1/2 cups sugar
3 tsp baking powder
In small bowl using a hand mixer, place the following ingredients one at a time. Beat vigorously after each addition.
8 TBSP melted butter
2 cups orange juice
1 cup water
Make well in dry ingredients and pour at once wet into well. Stir until moist.
2 cups whole cranberries (can be frozen)
Pour into 3 greased and floured pans and bake for 1 hour — careful NOT to over bake. Check with knife — should come out clean. Serve warm and enjoy. Freezes well.
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 5 cups flour
- 2½ cups sugar
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 8 TBSP melted butter
- 2 cups orange juice
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups whole cranberries (can be frozen)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, sift together salt, baking soda, flour, sugar and baking powder.
- In small bowl using a hand mixer, place the following ingredients one at a time--eggs, melted butter, orange juice and water. Beat vigorously after each addition.
- Make well in dry ingredients and pour at once wet into well. Stir until moist.
- Fold in cranberries.
- Pour into 3 greased and floured pans and bake for 1 hour -- careful NOT to over bake. Check with knife -- should come out clean.
- Serve warm and enjoy. Freezes well.