For a heart healthy meal rich in iron and omega-3, try this Chickpea Avocado Salad. It’s easy and delicious and works well with variations to keep it exciting. Salmon and granola make healthy alternatives, as well as Mandarin oranges and strawberries!
This salad is deceptively filling. If I’m starving, I’ll add a can of salmon right on top. If so-so, I’ll replace the avocado with salmon. Mandarin oranges are a delicious accompaniment and provide the necessary vitamin C to increase the absorption of your iron-rich spinach and chickpeas. Enjoy!
- Mixed greens, including spinach
- 1 avocado, sliced
- ¼ cup chickpeas
- 1 teaspoon Feta cheese
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Turmeric and ground black pepper
- Optional salmon or chicken
- Begin with your greens, topped by the avocado, chickpeas and cheese.
- Drizzle the amount of olive oil you prefer then sprinkle with turmeric and ground pepper.
Iron-rich options: turkey, raisins, artichokes and soft boiled-egg yolks
Anti-inflammatory options: shiitake mushrooms, papaya, broccoli