Have I mentioned how easy a pepper is to grow? It is easy. Very. But as with any abundant crop, next you’ll be looking for ways to consume your pepper abundance. What on earth can you do with baskets of peppers? Let’s say you don’t have time to can them. You don’t prefer them in your salads. Now what?
Peering at the myriad varieties, shapes and sizes, you’re perplexed. You can’t eat them all and there’s no room in the freezer. Hm. Well… There is that Super Bowl game next weekend. Why not serve them to the guests?
Great idea! Especially when you have a crowd-pleasing appetizer recipe!
This appetizer is delicious. Healthy, not so much, but delicious, yes. And since when do football snacks have to be healthy? This is game day we’re talking about where healthy appetites overrule healthy food choices, right? In my house, they do. And if you’re not opposed to mixing a little sausage with your veggies, then this dish is a must-try.
- 15-20 peppers, jalapeno or sweet, sliced in half lengthwise, seeds removed
- 1 lb. mild Italian sausage
- ¼ cup minced red pepper
- ¼ cup minced red onion
- 3 TBSP minced garlic
- 1 package of softened cream cheese
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese
- salt/pepper to taste
- ½ cup mozzarella cheese
- ½ minced jalapeno, seeds removed (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Brown sausage, peppers, onions, garlic and minced jalapeno.
- Drain grease and add softened cream cheese, Parmesan, salt/pepper and mix well.
- Line baking sheet with nonstick foil or parchment paper.
- Place approximately 1 TBSP of mixture into each pepper half and top with ½ tsp mozzarella cheese.
- Place the tray of peppers into the oven and bake until cheese is melted.
- Sprinkle a bit of Parmesan over top before serving.